1) Alcatraz v the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson. Book 1 of a series. Kid friendly, and so much fun. This one is a family favorite.
2) The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. This wonderful story won both the Newbury and Carnegie Medals and a personal fav. It’s premise is a bit morose, but I think you’ll discover it to be so full of heart you won’t give it’s macabre beginging a second thought.
3) The Hobbit by Tolkein. It’s much shorter than people realize, and a magical story that never gets old.
4) Skyward by Brandon Sanderson. Pick anything by Sanderson and you’ll pick a winner. Skyward is the 1st book in a series. Think Eragon, except instead of a boy and a dragon this book is about a girl star fighter pilot and her space ship. Super fun, super cool.
5) Wizard for Hire by Obert Skye. Book 1 of a series. Touching, hilarious, and full of heart. A boy is left alone to raise himself in the woods, enrolls himself in school, and hires a wizard from the want ads to help him find his parents. Is he a real wizard? It’s fun figuring it out!
6) Lockwood & Co by Jonathon Stroud. Think Harry Potter + Ghostbusters. Book 1 of a fun (and legit spooky) series
7) The Princess Bride by William Goldman. You’ve seen the movie, but have you read the book?
8) The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. This book has a fun and complex mystery to solve. Each day you wake up in someone else’s body who saw the events of the day from a different perspective. Think Clue + Quantum Leap + Groundhog Day.
9) Off to be the Wizard by Scott Meyer. This story is a lot of fun, especially if you guys appreciate nerd humor.
10) Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. This one is longer, but so much fun…especially if you enjoy science and don’t mind people getting eaten by dinosaurs…
11) Wool by Hugh Howey. Another personal fav. People live underground in a silo 110 stories deep because the air outside is toxic. Suspenseful with some great twists. There is a bit of language in this one.
12) Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Book 1 in a series. One of my all time favs. If you’re into Fantasy stories, this one should be high on your list. There is violence.